Your Guide To Channelside Real Estate And Living
The Channel District is a vibrant, urban, waterfront community just east of Downtown Tampa. Historically the District was the gritty commercial and industrial area serving the Port of Tampa. Today the Channel District is a dynamic, growing community that embraces the waterfront. Paddleboats and eBoats flow down the channel, joggers and cyclists make their way along the Riverwalk, and people choose from an abundant number of craft brews at the Pour House. This community is absolutely exploding with exciting new development at every corner. Downtown Tampa real estate just got a whole lot more diverse!
- Sparkman Wharf and Water Street – The Channel District is riding the winds of change as part of the Water Street and Sparkman Wharf developments spearheaded by Jeff Vinik, owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Check out the entertainment schedule, or come in for a craft brew, or dinner along the waterfront. This area has it all going on. In addition to redeveloping 40 acres of the Channel District, Vinik also wants to impact the health and wellness of its residents and has partnered with Delos, to create a first of its kind “wellness district”. He put his money where his mouth is by donating the site of the new USF Morsani College of Medicine and Heart Institute currently under construction and due to open late 2019.
- The proximity to the water– The Channel District is surrounded by water to the east and south. This makes it a great place for paddle boarding, e-boating and the Pirate Water Taxi, which makes stops around Channelside and up the Hillsborough River. To enjoy some time out on the water, the Sail Pavillion close to the Tampa Convention Center offers eBoats and other water vessels for rent.
- The varying architecture – Like Seminole Heights, The Channel District has its share of eclectic and distinguishable styles of architecture that come together to create its distinct culture. Buildings such as the Grand Central, Towers of Channelside and the Tampa Bay History Center demonstrate the influence of modern architecture. The Fitzgerald apartments revisits the early 1900s with its Art Deco style, and the Model-T building of the Victory Lofts condominiums was originally built in 1925 to store automobiles shipped from the Port of Tampa!
- Lots of housing options and more to come!– Owning Channelside real estate does not mean owning a condo in a bland high rise! Buying or leasing, Channelside real estate offers many options to choose from. Here you will find the largest concentration of lofts in Downtown Tampa, including the aforementioned Victory Lofts and the Channelside Lofts. Other residences that can be found include the SkyHouse, The Slade, and the Grand Central. In addition to quantity, residences have high quality, with luxurious living spaces and a convenient location to nearby parks and local businesses. The many cranes in the area predict even more housing for this highly desirable area. If you were considering downtown Tampa real estate, keep Channelside as an option!
- Proximity to urban transportation – The Channel District’s location makes it a perfect place launch pad for getting around the Tampa Bay area. The Pirate Water Taxi has stops in the District, and offers stops all along the Hillsborough River and the Tampa Riverwalk. Channelside is in walking distance to the free Downtowner service and the free TECO Line Streetcar stops servicing downtown Tampa to Ybor City.
- Nearby local restaurants and bars– Any Channelside real estate agent worth their salt will know all of the best places to eat! I am certainly one of them. When dining local the Channel District is the place to go, offering a wide variety of cuisines and tastes for diners. One can have a taste of Ybor City at the Columbia Café at the History Center, or a taste of just about anything at Sparkman Wharf. One of the most interesting places to go for food and drink in the District is a Jekyll and Hyde of restaurants. By day, it is Ginger Beard Coffee, making coffee look so much like a cool, frothy beer that the coffee shop has used the hashtag “#notguinness” to describe their coffee. By night, it is the Pour House, serving beer and entertainment. True to its name in Italian, Cena, meaning “dinner,” provides fresh and gourmet Italian dinners in a modern and beautiful setting. For a unique way to dine, the Yacht StarShip Dining Cruises combines the open sea with mouthwatering cuisine that makes for a unique and special dining experience. For shopping and eating locally, the Duckweed Urban Grocery is a vibrant local grocery providing staples to the locals, as well as a café offering sandwiches, baked goods, and other dishes.
- There is so much to do! – There are a countless number of things to do in the Channel District, so many that it would take forever to list them all. Learn something new about Tampa Bay at the Tampa Bay History Center, see a play at the Stageworks Theatre, touch manta rays and see marine life up close at the Florida Aquarium, or attend a hockey game at the nearby Amalie Arena: the Channel District has this and much more! The five-acre Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park, in addition to providing convenient access to many of Channelside’s shops and restaurants, hosts major events, such as the Pan Am Dragon Boat Races. For those with canine companions, the Washington Street Dog Park Park provides multiple water fountains, Astroturf, and shaded areas that are comfortable for both people and dogs. The Tampa Convention Center is the ideal place to find conventions and events, such as the annual car show. The Grand Central hosts Flicks and Food Trucks, held on the 3rd Thursday of every month, courtesy of Tampa Bay Markets. The free event includes gourmet food trucks, local live music, local brews from the Pour House, and an outdoor movie experience for all to enjoy.
If you’ve ever thought about downtown Tampa real estate, there are a million reasons for you to make the move. Gone are the days of moving downtown and being stuck with limited options to live, eat, or play. Contact me, your Channelside real estate agent, today!